5/6/10

Apple Turnovers


   * I had a quote from a Redwall book (I believe it was Martin the Warrior) that mentioned apple turnovers, so I made them this week. However, after I finished preparing this post, I discovered I've misplaced the quote! 
   I don't want to not post this week, so I'll add the quote as soon as I find it. I'm sure it'll turn up when I'm not looking for it. If you find a description in any Redwall book referring to apple turnovers, please drop me a line!


Apple turnovers are one of my favorite things to bake - rustic, fun, and easy.


They're perfect if you want apple pie but only have 1 or 2 apples.  


The flaky, generous crust surrounds a sweet apple filling. If you like, sprinkle the warm turnovers with powdered sugar.


I like to make them small - perfect for snacks and sharing.


Pie crust is cut into rectangles using a 3" x 5" index card as a template.


An apple is chopped small and combined with sugar and spices....


.....then spooned onto the crusts.


The edges are brushed with milk, folded together, and sealed with a fork -  then the turnovers are brushed with milk, sprinkled with sugar and baked. 

Another bonus is that it only takes 15 min. to bake these and they can be eaten warm, unlike apple pie, which has to bake for almost an hour and cooled for more than 2. 


Apple Turnovers
Makes 12-14 small turnovers
theredwallcook.blogspot.com

Ingredients:
1/2 batch Pie Crust
1 large apple (I used Pink Lady, but any kind will work)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2-3 drops vanilla extract
Milk
Raw sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Roll out the crust to 1/8" thickness (directions on how to do this can be found here). Using a 3" x 5" index card as a template, cut out as many rectangles of crust as will fit. Move rectangles to a plate, re-roll crust, and repeat until all crust is used. Place rectangles in the freezer. 

2. Cut the apple into small (1/4" x 1/4") chunks. Combine with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. 

3. Measure a small amount of both milk and raw sugar into separate bowls. Remove the crust rectangles from the freezer and arrange them on baking sheets. Place a scant tablespoon of filling to one side on each rectangle. Brush the edges with milk and fold in half. Pinch to seal and press edges together with a fork. Brush the turnovers with milk, sprinkle with raw sugar, and poke a hole in the top of each using a fork.

4. Bake turnovers for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown (juice may leak out and burn; this will not effect the turnovers). Cool for a few minutes before serving warm, or serve room temperature. 

Note: As you can see, I've decided to change my post format slightly. Instead of step-by-step pictures and directions, I'll post photos of just the steps that may be confusing, followed by the recipe. I think this will be better for me and for my readers!